26/10/2023 08:00 AM - 28/10/2023 04:00 PM
Wide-Awake and Minimally Invasive Hand and Wrist Surgery Conference: An Arthroscopic, Endoscopic and Ultrasound-Guided Skills Lab
Registration is now open
It is with a great pleasure that we invite you to attend the “Wide-Awake and Minimally Invasive Hand and Wrist Surgery Conference: An Arthroscopic, Endoscopic and Ultrasound-Guided Skills Lab” on October 26th-28th, 2023
Wide-awake hand surgery entails the use of lidocaine-epinephrine infiltration in providing anesthesia for patients needing surgery. The advantage of this technique is that it removes the need to use an upper arm tourniquet for creating a bloodless field, which in turn removes the pain from ischemia and the need for general anesthesia.
Avoiding general anesthesia, means that patients can be treated safely, efficiently, and without risks regardless of prior diseases (i.e. diabetes, heart disease). Additionally, avoiding general anesthesia provides an ability to allow control of motion during surgery, improving functional outcomes after such things as tendon repair and fracture fixation.
In our community of athletes, the requirement to provide efficient and minimally-invasive techniques for treatments is high. As such, there is a need to implement diagnostic and treatment modalities that are safe and allow for a fast return to play. Examples of these include: ultrasound for injections and surgery, and endoscopic and arthroscopic techniques.
Aspetar holds a unique knowledge in the Middle East (MENA) region with regard to the treatment of athletes, as well as the use of wide-awake and minimally invasive techniques for the treatment of common hand and wrist pathologies. A scientific committee was formed to explore the possibility to provide a course for physicians (surgeons, sports medicine physicians), as well as physiotherapists, nurses, and pharmacists working closely with hand surgeons, to broaden the understanding and use of these techniques in the Middle East and beyond.
- Event: Wide-Awake and Minimally Invasive Hand and Wrist Surgery Conference: An Arthroscopic, Endoscopic and Ultrasound-Guided Skills Lab
- Activity code: HGI-03-P121
- Date and time:
- Day1: October 26 – 13:30 – 18:30 (lectures – in person or online via MS Teams),
- Day 2: October 27 – 08:30 – 12:00 (lectures – in person or online via MS Teams), 12:45 – 17:00 (skills lab – in person or online via MS Teams Live Demonstration only)
- Day 3: October 28 – 08:30 – 12:00 (lectures – in person or online via MS Teams), 12:45 – 17:00 (skills lab – in person or online via MS Teams Live Demonstration only)
- Target Audience: Physicians, Nurses, Allied Health Practitioners (Radiographers, Podiatrists and Physiotherapists only), Others (Physical Coaches, Sports Scientists)
- Location: Aspetar Auditorium & Sport Surgery Training Center (SSTC), Doha, Qatar, and online via MS Teams
- Attendance type: in person or MS Teams (lectures Only + two live Demonstration)
- CPD points: Maximum of 18.0 “Category 1” credit hours Interactive time: 525 min (49% of overall time)
- Registration fees:
- 750 QR online participation
- 1000 QR in person participation
- 1000 QR Cadaver Workshop
Overall Learning Objectives:
On completion of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the use of wide-awake and minimally invasive hand surgery for common hand and wrist pathologies.
- Apply best evidence in the diagnosis and treatment of common hand and wrist injuries and musculoskeletal conditions.
- Explain the use of ultrasound for diagnostics and injections in hand and wrist disorders.
- Apply endoscopic and arthroscopic techniques in skills course.
- Explain the importance of minimally invasive techniques for safety, efficiency and successful outcomes following surgery and therapy for common hand and wrist disorders and injuries.
DHP Accreditation statement:
This activity is an Accredited Group Learning Activity (Category 1) as defined by the Ministry of Public Health’s Department of Healthcare Professions – Accreditation Section and is approved for a maximum of 18.0 hours.
Scientific Planning Committee:
Dr Elisabet Hagert - Orthopedic Surgeon / SPC Chair, Dr. Emmanouil Papakostas - Orthopedic Surgeon, Ibrahim Al Hussein - Director of Nursing, Marco Cardinale - Executive Director of Research & Scientific Support, Markus Laupheimer - Sports Medicine Physician, Marcelo Bordalo - Chief of Radiology, Om El Khir Ksantini - Senior Physiotherapist, Maria Concepcion Romero - Sports Medicine Physician, Mariem Labidi - CME/CPD Coordinator, Ahmad Almojaber Surgery Training Center Coordinator/ CME/CPD Coordinator.
The Scientific Planning Committee has reviewed all disclosed financial relationships of speakers, moderators, facilitators and/or authors in advance of the CPD activity and has implemented procedures to manage any potential or real conflicts of interest.
Registration is required to secure your spot; please note that the seats are limited.
Click [here] to register
Click [here] for the event agenda
Once registration is complete, you will receive a confirmation email with a Qr code (for in person participants) or a MS Teams link (for the online participants).
The Organising Committee would like to offer a special negotiated rates for the registered delegates from 24th To 30th October 2023.
Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact the following hotels:
We look forward to seeing you there.