Prof. Roald Bahr
Head of the Aspetar Sports Injury & Illness Prevention Programme, Aspetar
Prof Roald Bahr is Head of the Aspetar Sports Injury and Illness Prevention Programme at Aspetar. He is also a Professor of Sports Medicine and the Chair of the Oslo Sports Trauma Research Center at the Norwegian School of Sports Sciences. In addition, he is the Chief Medical Officer and Department Chair for Olympiatoppen and the Department of Sports Medicine at the Norwegian Olympic Training Center in Oslo.
He is authorised as a Sports Medicine Physician by the Norwegian Society of Sports Medicine and is a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine. Professor Bahr is a member of the IOC Medical Commission – Medical and Scientific Group and the Medical Commission of the International Volleyball Federation (FIVB). His main research area is the prevention of injury and illness in athletes, and he has published more than 300 papers and book chapters, with a citation index (H-index) of 53. He is the main editor of the widely acclaimed textbook “IOC Manual of Sports Injuries”, which is published in seven languages, as well as the new “Handbook of Sports Injury Prevention”.
- PhD, University of Oslo, 1992
- MD, University of Oslo, 1987
- 2008-Present: Member of the IOC Medical Commission - Medical and Scientific Group
- 1998-Present: Medical Commission of the International Volleyball Federation (FIVB)
- 2008: Prince Philip Medal for his outstandingly significant and original contribution to the advancement of medical knowledge in Sports and Exercise Medicine by His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh.
- 2016: Nordic Prize in Medicine for research on sports medicine and physical activity, shared with professor Lars Engebretsen, professor Jon Karlsson and professor Michael Kjær.