Dr. Juan-Manuel Alonso
Sports Medicine Physician & Clinical Liaison for Clubs and Federations
Dr Juan Manual Alonso is a Spanish-trained sports medicine physician. He has vast experience in Track and Field and has attended six Summer Olympic Games and nine World Outdoor Athletics Championships. He has been the Medical Director of the Spanish Athletics Federation for the past seventeen years, and was the chair of the International Association of Athletics Federations Medical and Anti-Doping Commission from 2003 till 2015 with a global responsibility for anti-doping and improving athlete care for all 200 countries in the Athletics Federation. He has published several papers on athletics injuries, the majority on epidemiology. In 2016 Dr Alonso also became Clinical Liaison for Clubs and Federations at Aspetar.
- 2009: Complutensis University, Madrid, Spain Doctorate (PhD), Dissertation: “Track and Field Athletics Injuries Epidemiology”
- 2004: San Antonio Catholic University, Murcia, Spain, Master (MSc), Sports Trauma
- 2002: Sports Medicine Specialty (Cert. Sports Med.)
- 2004: Complutensis University, Madrid, Spain Master (MSc), Musculoskeletal Biomechanics
- 1986: Complutensis University, Madrid, Spain Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (M.B., B.S.)
- 2003 to present: Chair of the IAAF Medical and Anti-doping Commission.
- 1996 – 2013: Head of Medical Department of Royal Spanish Athletics Federation.
- 1998 – 2013: Member of the Spanish Olympic Committee Medical Commission.
- 2007 to present: Member of the International Olympic Committee Medical Commission Injury Study Group.
- 2009: Royal Spanish Order of Sports Merits bronze medal
- 1992-2012: Summer Olympic Games (6)
- 1997-2013: World IAAF Outdoors Championships (9)
- British Journal of Sports Medicine Associated Editor