Aspetar’s Athlete Screening and Sports Cardiology Department perform medical assessments on athletes for a variety of reasons, including an assessment for a new contract signing
An annual medical assessment; a cardiac screening assessment, or a full cardiology assessment and follow up.
Each medical assessment consists of different components and is tailored to meet the needs of each individual athlete. While each test is specific to each person, a number of components are standard across the board, such as:
- Cardiac screening (including an ECG, and often further investigations such as an ECHO or a Cardiac MRI)
- Treadmill / cycle exercise test, including gas analysis
- Detailed medical and injury questionnaire
- Laboratory tests
- Dental assessment
- Biodex muscle assessment
- Physiotherapy functional assessment (including FMS)
- Visual acuity assessment
- General medical and musculoskeletal examination undertaken by an experienced Sports and Exercise Medicine Physician
A summary report is provided at the conclusion of the assessment with recommendations for any action.